Are you online looking for a work from home opportunity or an online business opportunity? Regardless, of whether you are looking for an online job or an online business, there are hundreds, if not thousands of scams online.
The difficulty of searching out the right opportunity can be tough if you don’t know what to avoid. Nonetheless, I believe we can safely admit that people have lost millions of dollars to some unethical scheme.
Previously, I wrote an article teaching, 7 ways to spot a scam online. It’s my determination to teach you how to prevent these scammers from taking your personal information or money.
More importantly, if you learn how to search for online opportunities in the proper way, then you will reduce the possibilities of falling victim to these insentive scammers.
Besides, after learning this tips you’ll be able to keep your money in your pocket and not waste it on an unethical scheme. If you’re searching for make money online opportunities I will always advise you to invest your money with legit programs only.
As you search online, for “Work From Home Jobs”, you’ll usually get a list of legitimate jobs and illegitimate jobs. Or vice versa, if you search for “Make Money Online” you’ll get the same results. Either they’re real or fake but, how can you tell? Keep reading and you’ll find out.
After being sick and tired of being scammed, I eventually slowed down and realized how to detect what was real and what was fake. Here is a list of tips on what I discovered along the way. This list will also help you from ever falling into the hands of a scammer again.
What To Do When Searching Online?
1. Educate Yourself – Always educate yourself about the online opportunity that you’re inquiring about. Okay, so how can you educate yourself about something you don’t even know about or understand? You’ll need to do your research.
2. Research – In order to do thorough research, look for the company’s official website. Read their about page. Check out how long they have been in business. More importantly, if they have a YouTube channel go and watch some videos.
In addition to this, you can search for a few article reviews by going to a search engine. Type in the company name + reviews. Not all companies will have this but, it’s a pointer that you’ll want to keep in mind.
3. Better Bureau Business – Not all businesses will be listed under the Better Bureau Business. However, if the opportunity you’re looking for is, verify the company with the BBB.
Of course, everyone has their own personal opinions on what or how they felt they were done wrong. With this being said, you’ll want to check and see if the company has any complaints. If so are the complaints outweighing the positive reviews.
PRO TIP: While you’re at it check out what the BBB has to say. Go and read their article “10 Steps To Avoid Scams.”
4. Understand Who You’re Dealing With – Make sure you understand who you’re dealing with. Are they just trying to sell you training, products, services, or materials for an online business?
Or are they trying to actually employ you for a job? Better yet are they even actually trying to help you make an informed decision.
There is a difference so, it’s best you understand. A lot of scammers, who are out to trick people advertise online businesses as jobs. On the other hand, they also advertise opportunities that don’t even exist.
In addition, to this, you have many successful marketers that will entice you to sign up with their opportunity, and you may never hear from them again.
Put Your Scam Attenas On
Above all, you’ll have to use your head. Don’t believe everything you’re told. An online business is just like any other business. There is no possible way to make a substantial amount of money in a short period.
If it was possible to earn a $1000 in a week to do a simple task, then I think the whole world would be doing it. I know for sure I would jump ship right now and take up the offer.
However, this is just a sales tactic to get you hyped up and eventually you’ll sign up. Scammers are not dumb. They know almost everyone and their dog is looking for ways to earn an extra income.
PRO TIP: Joining an online business, always requires work, skills, time, and great products or services.
5. Never Rush Into Making A Decision
This is probably one of the best tips that I can give you when it comes to making money online. You’ll always want to make an informed decision. Above all, take your time, get clarity on what you’re actually getting yourself into before making a final decision.
Try taking a nap, sleep on it, maybe take a walk, or look over the opportunity the next day. With that being said, any legit online business will always be available today, tomorrow, and next year.
6. Ask Questions – Don’t just ask any question. Ask questions that will return an open-ended answer. Closed-ended questions lead to closed-ended answers a “Yes” or “No”. Needless, to say any online opportunity that’s legit will always be willing to answer your questions if you were to ask.
7. Get Every Detail Possible – Getting all the details of an opportunity, can almost easily fit in with asking questions. Always get all the details before making a final decision. A legitimate company will always be happy to give you details on the opportunity at hand.
PRO TIP: Never pay for anything before getting the details.
8. Join Linkedin – Network with others on Linkedin, especially if you’re looking for a job. Besides, if you connect with someone on Linkedin that is or has been involved with the opportunity you’re seeking. Ask them questions. For example, how was their experience with the company? Would they recommend it? What’s good or bad about the company?
Another thing I do is, I search on Linkedin to see if I can find the company. If it shows up on the Linkedin platform more than likely, it’s legit.
At any rate, Linkedin is also an important platform to be on if you’re looking for a job or trying to build a brand. Employers, these days, search for you via Linkedin and any other social media platform. They also have the tendency to Google your name in the search engine.
Regardless, if you don’t have a Linkedin, profile you’ll want to go to Linkedin and sign up. It’s a free way to connect with others. Making connections on Linkedin is a little harder than any other social media site. However, if you need a few easy connections, you can always add me as a connection. Here is my Linkedin Profile.
9. Understand The Refund Policy – Always investigate the refund policy of any online opportunity you may be involved with. I haven’t come across too many online jobs that offer refund policies.
On the other hand, an online business usually has one but, if it’s a scamming opportunity, that is a different story.
PRO TIP: By the way, the only opportunity, that I’ve come across thus far that doesn’t offer a refund is Easy 1 Up.
10. Always Know Your Legal Requirements – Some opportunities you sign up with will require you to meet certain legal requirements. Such as becoming a medical biller, you may need a license or certificate to participate in this type of work.
Another example would be the Motor Club Of America. Before, I signed up with this company I had no idea that I was required to pay the state of Texas license fee for selling the product. Thank goodness, my fee was only $10 but, always make sure you’re abiding by all laws.
Big Earning Claims
Be very wary of big earning claims. It really is crazy to me how we never wonder or want to see a personal paycheck when the person is working a job. But, once, someone starts an online business everyone and their mama wants to see your income proof. Plus they want you to show it.
Although there is nothing wrong with showing income proof because I understand sometimes people just need to see for themselves that it works. On the other hand, while some people like to have privacy and others don’t mind disclosing it all, this is the same way online scammers have been able to scam people.
They’ll use some random income screenshot and portray them as their own. It’s all good that screenshots are shared in all but, I am here to tell you no matter how much one person is making does not guarantee that you’ll make the same.
Your work ethics, my work ethics, and their work ethic are all different. There is a saying, that goes something like “what works for you, may not work for me”
In other words, never make a decision based off of income proof. I learned that a long time ago. Online businesses does take work and it takes a lot of discipline and sacrifice to make it work.
Those income proof checks did not magically get that way. It took that individual time to generate it and that is one important tip that they usually don’t disclose. Not mention, they probably never discussed any failures along the way either.
PRO TIP: Just be wary about income proof checks. It’s one of the biggest tactics that is used online.
11. Make Sure The Website Has All Required Legal Pages – Usually, all required legal pages are located within the footer of the website. However, it’s up to the site owner where he or she places them.
Regardless, it’s required by law for any website that is operating as a business to have certain legal pages. Depending on how and what the business services are.
What Never Ever To Do?
12. Personal Information – Never ever give out or fill out personal information with someone whom you are not sure about. In addition, to this never ever pay anyone that you have never researched or are not familiar with. Scammers have gotten so slick these days, that they even have access to accept your payment via PayPal and an app called Cash.
Personally, this is why I love affiliate marketing because I don’t deal with any money at all or products. The products that I share, the company deals with all of that. In addition, to this, all companies I deal with are well-known and scam free.
13. Never Fall For The Get Rich Quick Schemes – Any company or job that is hyping up their opportunity by making all of this money in a short period, is lying. There is no way as stated earlier you can start a business and make thousands in less than a week.
14. Don’t Ever Get Discouraged – Don’t get discouraged if you have come across a scam in the past or in the present. You’ll find the right and legit opportunity for you. Now that you know what to look for your results can increase from here.
15. Don’t Believe All The Marketing Hype – Work when you want, where you want and live the laptop lifestyle. This is somewhat true. When you’re running your own home-based business, you will be able to work and where you want. However, if you ever want to see any great income come out of it. It will require you to WORK…
Oh, This Gets People All The Time
Don’t ever, ever, fall for the put your business on autopilot tactic. When I first heard of autopilot, I really thought it meant what it said, “AUTOPILOT” and I know some of yall are thinking the same.
Autopilot simply means that the business owner has set up a system of automation tools, that can work for them, while they take care of other business adventures. The idea of autopilot should be a well-thought-out plan that allows your business to grow and increase in profits. Not to just place the business on autopilot.
Some examples of placing your business on autopilot are setting up sales funnels, email marketing systems, landing pages, extra-human workers, or any other automation tool that they can deploy. So, the owner themselves doesn’t have to do the work.
However, what they don’t tell you, is you’ll still have to check on all those automation tools and. Although you may be putting in less work, you’ll still be putting in some work.
Plus I forgot to mention more money is involved, with this type of setup. The autopilot will cost you money, it’s not free as some marketers make it seem.
16. Don’t Be Fooled By The Money Back Guaranteed
Although most places will give you your money back, there are some cases when it might be difficult. Usually, this happens, when it’s a scam. In this case, you’ll only want to pay for products or services if you truly are willing to take a risk.
Never Sign Up To Something You’re Not Clear On
Above all, you never want to sign up to a product, program, or services that you’re not clear about. This will only cause frustration and eventually, you may jump ship.
Always Look Out For These Signs
17. Pressure or Harassment Tactics – they’ll always give you the impression that this is a limited time offer and if you don’t sign up now, you’ll miss out.
18. Unclear or Complicated Programs – If you’re uncomfortable with something because, you’re not able to make an informed decision, ask questions. If you’re not able to ask questions walk away.
19. Price Reductions – Usually, programs that are not worth your time, will offer you a price reduction whenever you’re trying to exit the site. Pay attention to these types of offers.
20. Fake Screenshots Of Income Proof – A lot of the time scammers will use fabricated screenshots that are not even theirs, in order to entice you to sign up. You’ll learn to pick out a real screenshot or a fake screenshot as time goes on. Usually, fake screenshots will really look fake.
The Bottom Line
Now that you’re aware of what to look for when avoiding scams online you’ll be able to avoid being trapped into this sticky situations. Keep in mind that scammers will scam you for all you’ve got and they will not think twice about it.
At any rate, after being scammed a couple of times, I definitely am skeptical about everything. However, it has taught me to ask questions and never assume.
Eventually, I did find one authentic program which is my #1 recommendation “Wealthy Affiliate. Considering that there was no risk because I was able to start and launch a site for free without having to enter any payment method. Nor was there any marketing hype or fake income proof screenshots. I did end up signing up.
At any rate, if you would like to learn how to start an online business, with no risk, no scams, and no hype read my review about “What Is Wealthy Affiliate All About?”
Turning The Mic Over TO You
Do you have any tips to avoid scammers? I also welcome comments, complaints, or compliments. Chime in. I would love to hear from you…
Sharing Is Caring
By the way, could you do me a favor? I hope you say “Yes”. Could you please share this post? Let’s help as many people as we can be aware of these insentive scammers.
As always, I wish you the best and please be safe out there….Have an awesome day!